Sunday, February 13, 2011

That's life in AA on a football Saturday


Originally posted, October 9, 2010

If it doesn't eventually become apparent, I'm an MSU grad.



Today, October 9, marks the annual match up of the MSU Spartans v. UM Wolverines.  And this game today could be a doozy.  UM is coming off of two losing seasons (Editorial comment: Having said that, I am not a big follower of college football with the exception of this annual Spartan v. Wolverine match up, and that is mainly because I live in Ann Arbor and can be the target of typically annoying Walmart Wolverine taunting, as well as from a few alum.  For those of you who don't know what Walmart Wolverines are, they are the conglomeration of rabid Wolverine fans who not only 1) Didn't go to UM, but 2) Couldn't get in if they tried and 3) Their only shared connection is the UM merchandise they buy at Walmart.  But I digress....) And for Wolverine fans, who are lucky enough to have a proud winning tradition, two loosing seasons is the equivalent of crimes against humanity.  I am surprised Rich Rod didn't spend his summer abroad preparing for his trial in the Hague.

Today is the third time in the history of these two schools matching up that they are undefeated.  Yep 5-0, which makes the emotional stakes even higher.  The Vegas odds, who cares?  I live in this town and the emotional repercussions are my main concern.

I do believe that MSU is now ranked #17 and UM #18.  Honestly, I don't even know who is favored to win.  UM has a stellar QB named Denard Robinson who is a leading contender for the Heisman.  MSU has linebacker Greg Jones, the 2010 Big Ten Preseason Defensive Player of the year.  UM's Robinson is a multi-talented  player who runs with the ease of a gazelle, while under threat of attack from a heard of 300 lb beasts, which is what he will be forced to deal with for the first time this season really, as the Spartan D comes after him like he's dinner.

One of the many benefits of living my life in Ann Arbor, is my friendship with Chelle.  A wonderfully kind human being AND a UM graduate (I know.  It's not always a contradiction).  Now, if the world was made up of more UM fans like her, I suspect world peace would eventually follow suit.  And one of the great things about Chelle is I've been fortunate to meet four really cool people-Steve, Sue, Mike and Carmen-all UM fans, and dare I use the word rabid in reference to at least one of them.

It is Chelle's role in the family to host amazing tail gate parties, (these would make Martha Stewart stand up and take note), which I am so fortunate to be invited to attend today along with one of my wonderful college roommates, despite the fact that we will be wearing green and the white block S. Chelle, in her infinite party hosting savvy and kindness, despite the familial repercussions she could be facing, is even going to put a white Block S on the cake.  Ahh....it is good to be surrounded by wonderful people. Today's party will be no exception!  Take a look at the chain of emails outlining everyone's roles and responsibilities, not to mention the good sparring between me and my good pal Steve:

From: Michelle 
On Oct 5, 2010, at 7:34 AM
>
> Steve,
> If you provide enough food and beverage, collect the bounty, etc.,
> etc. I will provide the house and it can be your house party…
>
> KG,
> Copying you to get ya in the loop on planning ☺
>
> Michelle

From: Michelle 
> Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:24 AM
> To: steve; susan
> Subject: tailgate planning

> Numbers
> Adults
> 1 Dad
> 2 Danny
> 3 Pat
> 4 Chelle
> 5 Tom
> 6 Kristi
> 7 Charlene
> 8 Sue
> 9 Steve
> 10 Paul
> 11 Mike
> 12 Carmen
> 13 Dan
> 14 Amber
> 15 Joey
> 16 Randy
> 17 Randy + 1
> 18 Kristi's Louisville friend
> 19 KLADF + 1
>
> Kids
> 1 Abigail
> 2 Sara
> 3 Evan
> 4 Ryan
> 5 Caroline
> 6 Olivia
> 7 Makayla
>
>
> Food
> Hamtramck sausages (Friday field trip)
> others brats and dogs?
> potato salad (Pat)
> Pasta salad (Pat)
> Baked Beans?
> Other Side dish 1?
> Other Side dish 2?
> Fruit/veggies?
> Donuts (Bill)
> Football cake (Chelle)
> Chips & Dip?
> Chips & Salsa?
> Other
>
>
> Beer?
> Wine?
> Soda/Pop?
> Water?
> Other drinks?
>
> Entertainment
> Outdoor speakers (chelle)
> UM Band CD (Chelle)
> outdoor TV (Steve request) - have TV - need more cable
>
Misc. (thanks Sue for idea
> Maize & blue M&Ms
> Party favors?!

> From: Michelle 
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:26 AM
> To:  Michelle
> Cc: Steve; Susan; Michael; Kristi
> Subject: Re: tailgate planning
>
> Update during my boring ride on super shuttle -
> Steve: can you get tv cable?
> Steve: can you update list with others you invited?
> Sue: we will add your M cookies to list :)
> Mike: can you bring over your propane tank as backup for the grill?
> Kristi: can you make sure ur team leaves their defense in east
> lansing?
> Catch y'all tomorrow
> Chelle
>
> Sent from my iPhone



From: Kristi
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:27 AM
> To: Michelle
> Cc: Steve; Susan; Michael
> Subject: RE: tailgate planning
>
> Hey, if I had any control whatsoever over my Spartans, I would have
> made sure that they beat UM on Saturday, October 8, 1994-for it was
> my wedding day. We got married in the MSU chapel and the reception
> was in the union. Of course the game was playing downstairs. Alas,
> they lost. But no, that wasn't the worst part. The worst part was
> some UM fans at my wedding (see I am not unreasonable, I make nice with Wolverines) singing 


the UM fight song during the reception. (A new bride should only be expected to suffer this). So, for that reason alone, 

and for all the angst and rudeness that every state fan has suffered at one time or another, whether at their wedding or in their hometown, at the hands of a Wolverine fan, I will certainly NOT encourage my Spartans to leave the "D" in East Lansing. Good luck!
From: Steve
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 9:41 AM
> To: Kristi; Michael; michelle; Susan
> Subject: RE: tailgate planning
>
> That guy singing the fight song -- it was me. And I'll do it again
> on Saturday. And feel free to bring whatever shambles of a defense
> they may have left. There's not stopping the Michigan Train, baby.
>
> Of course, if you feel so inclined, you can leave your quarterback
> and running backs behind.

> From: Kristi
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:14 AM
> To: Steve; Michael; michelle; Susan 
> Subject: RE: tailgate planning
>
> Steve, I ask you.....what is your definition of a train? Does just
> one car make a train? I think not. I think for a train to be
> successful, you need more than one car, and that is where your train
> might run into a little trouble. Denard Robinson is only one car
> and last time I checked, football is a team sport.
>
> BTW...there is no other UM fan on the planet I would rather spend
> this day with!

> From: Steve 
> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:26 AM
> To: Kristi; michelle; Michael; Susan
> Subject: RE: tailgate planning
>
> You will eat your words on Saturday evening, Kristi. Denard is
> faster the speed of light. Your only hope is that Mike Martin
> doesn't concuss Cousins by the end of the third quarter. But,
> Denard is faster than the speed of light -- nothing else is
> relevant. Got it?

On Oct 6, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Kristi
wrote:> Wow! Are you walking lopsidded today? I would think that angry
> chip might be wearing you down. There is a great massage place just
> up the street from where you work-Living Light Message. You might
> want to check it out.
>
> I'd hate for your grilling skills to be compromised as a result of
> back pain from angry "we've-sucked-so-bad-for-two-years-now-that-
> Denard-Robinson-is-our-savior-and-he-can-do-it-all-by-himself" chip.

From: Steve
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 1:19 PM
To: Kristi 
Cc: michelle; Michael; Susan
Subject: Re: tailgate planning

Apparently my humor is lost on Spartans.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone

Subject: RE: tailgate planning
From: Kristi
Date: Wed, October 06, 2010 1:29 pm
To: Steve
Cc: michelle, Michael, Susan 
Wow! I wouldn't say your humor is lost on Spartans, as I am indeed LOVING our barbs. I would say you maybe need to get your humor meter checked-is is broken? Because I think this conversation is hilarious! ;-)

From: michelle
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 8:19 AM
To: Kristi 
Cc: Michael; Susan; 
Subject: RE: tailgate planning

I missed all of this, not checking this email acct. until today.
Thanks for some great reading with my coffee this Friday morning!

Alas, leave it up to Chelle to be the awesome neutralizer, especially on my 16th wedding anniversary.  She is a Wolverine fan, but she is the Switzerland of Wolverine fans.  She just wants everyone to have a good time at her party.  That is her priority, and God bless her for that!  

So, kick off is about 7 hours away.  I look forward to spending a great day with great people, eating great food and drinking great beverages.  Of course I want my Spartans to win, but if they don't....it's just a football game.  You see, Spartan fans are conditioned to crushing defeat and blowing huge first half leads, so we have developed a really good tolerance to loss.  Does it mean we're not true fans?  NOT AT ALL! I'm just sayin' that a loss for a Wolverine today will be infinitely more painful to him/her than a loss for a Spartan, and God save Rich Rod if they loose a close game.

Regardless of who wins and looses, it can't be as a bad as it was for this guy today.  It's interesting living in downtown Ann Arbor because you get to see a lot of late night stumblings to cars, walks of shame, etc.  Well, this morning I woke up to a fire truck, an ambulance and 3 cop cars outside the house with the cops trying to have a conversation with a young man who, I suspect, spent the night in his car and is either already drunk at 8 a.m. or still drunk from last night-either way he shouldn't be driving, and the cops all agreed because he rode off in a cab.  And, hey, this is just my personal philosophy, but when a cop tells you you're being a dick, don't argue.  Just agree.  Hey, I didn't mind getting woken up by this.  I was just soooooo happy that the dude didn't have any MSU gear on.  Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Signing off for now, 
Me (KG) the Spartan

P.S.  Can't wait for the halftime show!  I love me some college marching bands!





No comments:

Post a Comment