Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Heart's Day!

It's not where or how I would choose to spend the most hallowed of romantic holidays. And yet, the irony not only does not escape me, it comforts me. I am in the family waiting area at the University of Michigan's Cardiovascular Center.

My father is having his second cardiac ablation procedure performed in the hopes that it can help treat his abnormal heart rhythm. The ablation directs energy through a catheter to small areas of the heart muscle that cause the abnormal heart rhythm, and this energy "disconnects" the pathway of the abnormal rhythm in the hope that the heart will be able to sustain a normal rhythm on its own.

Like any medical procedure, there are risks, and the risks here can be pretty high. But I find myself unusually calm and positive.

My father had his heart bypass surgery on Valentine's Day 20 years ago here at U of M and today, I am comforted by the fact that on Valentine's Day, the ultimate day of hearts, his heart is being treated by the doctors and nurses at the 11th ranked cardiovascular center in the country (#1 in Michigan), according to US News and World Report.

I consider this a good sign indeed-two heart procedures, on the day of hearts, at the same heartfastic hospital. It's like the trifecta of cardiovascular care!

So while I am not having a traditional Valentine's Day, participating in the exchange of traditional gifts that are representative of love (like chocolates, flowers, and diamonds-although, note to husband: I would not be disagreeable to finding these when I get home), I am spending the day surrounded by people whom I love in a place whose sole mission is to make healthy and happy hearts for its patients and their families and friends. It is definitely a good day for my heart, and isn't that the ultimate Valentine's gift? Happy Heart Day.


"Heart" Day Sculpture at Cardiovascular Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment