Friday, February 11, 2011

It’s all a part of the journey

Originally posted October 5, 2009
I was invited a few weeks ago to attend a "Salon D'Comunitas." It was described as a gathering of like-minded individuals to talk about issues of importance to our communities. I was THRILLED! For me, it was like a book club without having to do the work of reading a book. I would be asked to share my opinion and I would have the benefit of learning from others. These are the kinds of "things" you read about in books or you see in movies-intellectuals sitting around a dinner table with lots of empty wine bottles and dialogue that is so wittily crafted. These are the movies that garner Oscar-winning performances.

In order to help facilitate the "getting to know you" process, we were asked by our hosts to pull together a bio. I wrote them for me and my husband and sent them off. Earlier today, I received an email with everyone's bios. GULP! I sent it to my husband right away and his response was, "Um...I'm not going." Talk about performance anxiety! Geez! These folks are phenomenal...undergrads from Princeton, Master's from Columbia and PH.D's from University of Michigan, founders of non profits, experts in public policy, helpers of the homeless, travelers of the world, owners of their own businesses and journalists! We were out of our element. Was it a gag like "Mean Girls?" Were we the jokes of the party? Knowing the hosts I knew this was NOT true...but I had to wonder.


I decided to take it all in stride and go with my current positive vibe as a result of my recent epiphnay that: "I'm not that bad, in fact, I'm pretty good at things." And I can generally find pretty much anything to talk about. If all else fails, I can resort to humor to mask my insecurity. But than, everyone brings something to the table, right? I'd be fine.

And I was. And it was GREAT! Just as I had suspected. We talked about so many things that I love and think are important-jobs, hope, education, economics, Detroit. This is me in heaven, and not just because I was doing the talking-but because I was learning and I was being exposed to other people's opinions. People that were kind and smart and liberal and just seemed like "good people." The kind of "people" I hope I get lumped into when people talk about "good people" or "my people."

We talked about what made us optimistic and pessimestic, I learned about creative ways to raise money for charity. We talked about innovative programs that communities like Flint are doing to help combat their 30% unemployment rate. People are writing grants. People are networking with each other. People are

I am inspired by these people. I know Michigan will survive and grow stronger with the kind of ingenuity expressed tonight. These are people donating large volumes of clothing to homeless men, women and children in Detroit. And you know why they are doing it? Because they can. Because it is the right thing to do. Because they subscribe to the philosophy that a rising tide lifts all boats. And this, above all things, gives me the greatest of hope.

I don't know the question or the answer, but I know there is something out there for me. Something so much bigger than me and something that is going to help people and make a difference-something that will strengthen community, something that will inspire myself and others. Something...there has got to be something. I don't know what it is, but I am hopeful that these people will help me find it. If not, that's o.k. too...it's all a part of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment